Friday, February 17, 2012

Winged Eyeliner



Winged eyeliner is a makeup trick that should be in every girl's repertoire. Just like lipstick, this technique will make you look awake (and beautiful!) even when you've been up for 20 hours studying for a test.

Winged eyeliner can be either subtle or extreme and can go with any kind of outfit you have planned! Doe-eyed, sultry, or more hardcore, winged eyeliner is very versatile!




Many people believe that to created the winged effect, you can only use liquid eyeliner and so many people are turned off to this look because they are intimidated by liquid eyeliner.

You don't only have to use liquid eyeliner!

Before I bought my first liquid liner, I used my Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Pencil in Sable Brown. And for $3, it worked wonderfully! I just made my winged shape and the dusted eyeshadow over it and it would last for a good while. Now, I use either a felt liner (like this one from Revlon) or L'Oreal Lineur Intense in Black/Brown. Each of these are good in their own way; the kohl pencil can be smudged if you don't want a harsh line, the felt pen is a little less harsh than the liquid liner, and the liquid is very dramatic and lasts much longer than the pencil or the felt pen.

How to create the winged effect



I found this photo on Tumblr and it is perfect for this section!
  1. Line the top of your eyelid; thinner on the inside, getting thicker towards the outside.
  2. Following the curve upwards of your bottom lid, sweep a line up towards your eyebrow. Extending the line however far you want. The shorter the more doe-eyed, the longer the more dramatic.
  3. Connect the end of that line with the line on your eyelid.
  4. Fill it in!
Sometimes if my hand is quite shaky and I can't use liquid eyeliner right away, I'll do it first in kohl pencil and then go over it with liquid. It's much easier to correct you lines in kohl if you mess up than it is in liquid. Also, sometimes I'll go over my liquid eyeliner with eyeshadow when the wings are dry if I want a little less harshness. This seems to do the trick.

Winged eyeliner can make your eyes so many different shapes and will never go out of style! It can be worn in so many different situations and will always give your face a little more polish!



So, how do you wear your wings?! Out to a party? Date? Class? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment